Welcome to Pursuit Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Pursuit Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Pursuit Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Pursuit or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on PursuitBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

3000 Express Cabin Leak

Anything related to the operation of your boat that doesn't fit another forum category. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
Mano

3000 Express Cabin Leak

Postby Mano » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:31 am

Hello, great to see that we finally have a Pursuit owners forum!!

I have an issue with water entering the bilge area underneath the cabin of my 2001 3000 Express. That is, every time it rains the bilge area of the cabin seems to accumulate an excessive amount of rain water and I can't seem to find where the water is coming from. I spoke to Pursuit and they suggested that I take out the screws that hold the windshield and silicon them, which I did. But the water is still coming in.

As anyone had this issue and if so, what was done to correct it?

Thank you!

hnt

3000 Express Cabin Leak

Postby hnt » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:24 pm

I recently purchased a 2460 Denali. The boat was transported here to CT with the covers off thru lots of rain. On my boat the starboard cockpit drain runs to a section of PVC pipe and then to the thru-hull scupper. The pipe did not drain and the over night temps were below freezing and the pipe shattered dumping water into the bilge. I had to make up and install a new section of pipe in a very tight space. You might want to see if you have a similar setup. I cant figure out how to post pics but I can email you before and after pics if you PM me.

Henry

idylmoments

3000 Express Cabin Leak

Postby idylmoments » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:39 pm

There is a drain hole in the bulk head between the cabin and engine compartment below the battery switch. Do you have a plug in?

MarkT
Home Port: Mattituck, Long Island
Vessel Info: 1999 Pursuit 3000 Express, twin Cummins 4-BTAs

3000 Express Cabin Leak

Postby MarkT » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:57 pm

I had a leak that was caused by the windshield. It did damage some of the overhead by warping/rotting some of the plywood at the edge of the vinyl above the starboard side portlight, above the aft seat of the booth. I did take out the rubber strips in the windshield and sealed all the screws. I also replaced all that rubber. That seems to have fixed the leak. If you had a leak up there I would think it would be seen overhead. I agree with the above poster, did you put a plug in the bulkhead scupper? You can get to it from under the steps, behind the shower drain. If it rains out the water will get in the bilge thru deck hatches and run forward under the cabin. Get a cockpit cover! It saves the cockpit area from weather and helps keep it all dry. Also I had leaks from shaft seals that I am fixing before this season starts and rudder seals that I fixed last year. You could not tell they leaked because they did not leak at the dock. I also had the a/c drain fitting crack letting water in very slowly that soaked the carpet again by the dinette but I got it fast enough to not have any damage. Great boat!

vze2gbs4

3000 Express Cabin Leak

Postby vze2gbs4 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:41 am

Hi Manny
As you can see from previous post leak could be and come from anywhere. I also had leaking window right where the screw was and leaking deck scupper that was coming right into bilge . The best way to be 100 sure is to be on the boat when it rains or run the hose where you suspect that leak could be. Just look for it. It shouldnt be hard to find. I found mine right away and stop the leak after minor sealing job.
Andrew

Topic author
Mano

3000 Express Cabin Leak

Postby Mano » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:51 pm

Wow - I didn't think I would get so many responses so soon!! Thank you all so very much!! This is great!!

1. Will check the cockpit drains - did not even think of this - but the fittings could be leaking! Even though the water gets accumulated in the bilge underneath the cabin, but will definitely check anyway.
2. I do not have a plug between the cabin and the engine compartment. I know about the lime hole and I experimented by plugging the hole and the bilge underneath the cabin accumulated so much water when it rained that it was at the shower sump box level (had to remove the plug or it would have been in the cabin floor). So I know it is rain water for sure.
3. Will recheck the side windshield screws (maybe I missed one???) and will replace all the windshield weather strips, which I already ordered from Pursuit.
4. Will wait for the rains and be on the boat for inspection.

I just need the rain now (lol) - South Florida has been experiencing a drought.

Scurvy Dog, not to change the subject, but I just found the rudder seals leaking today (ouch!). Can the lip seals be changed without hauling the boat out of the water? I know the shaft seals if you have a spare, which I do, you can (need to be very careful though). Do you know if Pursuit installed the Tides Marine seals? I will be calling them tomorrow.

Love the boat! Great fishing/family boat!

Thank you all again!!

Mano

captmark
Home Port: Point Pleasant NJ
Vessel Info: 1995 30' Offshore

3000 Express Cabin Leak

Postby captmark » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:11 am

Mano to do the shaft seal correctly you should pull it, a friend of mine has a 30 Offshore and he had to pull it last year, should be only a couple of hour job
Capt Mark Whitney
1995 30' Offshore
Erin Elizabeth Charters

Topic author
Mano

3000 Express Cabin Leak

Postby Mano » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:37 am

Ouch - I was hoping that I didn't. After some research it appears to be easy, but still debating if it needs to be pulled.

In any case, thank you for your feedback!

MarkT
Home Port: Mattituck, Long Island
Vessel Info: 1999 Pursuit 3000 Express, twin Cummins 4-BTAs

3000 Express Cabin Leak

Postby MarkT » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:55 pm

Hi Mano, I dod my rudder seals two seasons back. You have to be hauled out. You have to drop the rudders, pull the retaining ring and then pull the seal out. You will need a large diameter driver (a socket works) to hit the seal back in. I used a socket with an long extension so I could swing the hammer above the top support. It went in very easy. Still have minor leaks because the shafts are pitted. I could fill with epoxy or get new rudders. Or have a very small drip!

Topic author
Mano

3000 Express Cabin Leak

Postby Mano » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:30 pm

Thanks MarkT!

Question - is the issue with taking the boat out more to do with the rudder falling or with the boat taking on water due to the missing seal? I am not an expert by any way, shape or form, but it appears that it might be as easy as just removing the old seal and placing the new one. Of course, it is more easily said then done, that is why I have my mechanic going by later this week to see if it can be done on the water (risky!!). BTW - these are the Tides Marine Type D Dripless Rudder Ports.

Thanks again!

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”