Welcome to Pursuit Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Pursuit Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Pursuit Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Pursuit or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on PursuitBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

FLIR M232

If you have a project idea or a completed one you would like to show off (major or minor)? Share it with the rest of us!

Topic author
MarkT
Home Port: Mattituck, Long Island
Vessel Info: 1999 Pursuit 3000 Express, twin Cummins 4-BTAs

FLIR M232

Postby MarkT » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:21 pm

I have another project to work on over the winter. I took the plunge and purchased a FLIR M232. This unit lists for about $3500 but you can get a deal from a store in North Carolina for $2999. FLIR is also offering some deals, if you buy certain models now until the end of December you get a free handheld FLIR scope. I figured now is the time to buy. If you were thinking about doing it, now may be a great time.
Anyway, to mount this unit I will put it on the mast we have. That will mean I take the mast off this fall and have it modified to accept the FLIR unit. Since I put on a new C 127 and Quantum Radar two years ago, it will all be plug and play. I have elected to use the controls on the MFD for the camera instead of installing a joystick control. That would have required the installation of even more black boxes to be hidden away somewhere.
This hopefully will all be put to good use over the years, including our hoped for partial Great Loop trip two years from now. I hope to top this all off with the new Yanmar 4LV250 hp engines due out next year.
I will cut the top 5 inches off the mast, weld on a 8" disc to mount the camera, and add a pipe to mount the anchor light. Then it all gets powder coated.
Only registered members can view attachments. Registration is fast and FREE!

Topic author
MarkT

FLIR M232

Postby MarkT » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:32 am

Update: The boat is out and winterized, but I removed the mast for modifications over the winter. I came up with a design for a hinge plate so I could raise or lower the mast for storage or road transport but could not find a fabricator that wanted to do the job. I went online and found PYI Inc, that happens to make all kinds of marine equipment including hinge plates for their own masts. They sent me blank plates so I could drill and match my own bolt pattern and once I cut the mounting flange off my mast it can be welded to the top hinge plate. The welding shop will also modify the mast to mount the FLIR and new mast light set up. Then I will sand and paint it.

Topic author
MarkT

FLIR M232

Postby MarkT » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:00 pm

update: I have been modifying the mast, cutting it down and grinding the welds down. It is now lower by about 2 inches and I cut the mounting flange off the bottom. I also removed a bracket on the front of it that held a remote spot at one time. Next stop the welder, after T Day. Then sand and paint if it is warm enough. After that I will start installing the camera and running light.

Topic author
MarkT

FLIR M232

Postby MarkT » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:07 pm

You can also see on the bottom flange plate the original 6 mounting holes (3 on each side) that I have marked off. I am going to cut them out and use them as backing plates when I install the set-up. I figure that camera has some weight to it and backing plates will distribute the load better than just fender washers.

Topic author
MarkT

FLIR M232

Postby MarkT » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:31 pm

FLIR update. I got around to taking the mast and all the pieces I fabricated to the welder. The welds are beautiful. So nice that I may not bondo them up. I have drilled all the holes and test fit the camera and new running light. Now it is time to sand and paint, and wait for spring to put it all together.

Topic author
MarkT

FLIR M232

Postby MarkT » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:39 am

Picked up the mast Saturday from the powder coater. It looks great, glad I went that way instead of painting it myself. Now I will fit all the gear to it and wait for spring.
These users thanked the author MarkT for the post (total 2):
YOLO (Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:00 am) • JaxBch (Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:39 pm)

Topic author
MarkT

FLIR M232

Postby MarkT » Fri May 04, 2018 9:53 pm

I finally got out to the boat today. Pulled off the shrink wrap, installed the canvas after getting new zippers put in over the winter and installed the modified mast / FLIR mount. I used pieces of the mast to make backing plates as it is now heavier. Next week it's time to install the batteries, get the systems up and running and get ready to launch. The bottom will be painted by this weekend and then the hull will be waxed. The waxing is a Fathers Day gift.
These users thanked the author MarkT for the post:
YOLO (Sat May 05, 2018 6:20 am)

Andrew555
Vessel Info: 2016 Pursuit OS 325

FLIR M232

Postby Andrew555 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:23 pm

looks great nice mount! I recently had the M232 installed as well and love it so far... how is yours working?

Topic author
MarkT

FLIR M232

Postby MarkT » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:51 pm

Thanks Andrew. Unfortunately my boat is out of service right now. I am waiting for an exhaust elbow, two weeks so far and no word yet. I did run the wires for the FLIR, but I am having connectivity problems with my C-127. I may have damaged the data cable pulling it through the hardtop tubing. I have to check out the continuity in the cable, maybe tomorrow.

Topic author
MarkT

FLIR M232

Postby MarkT » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:21 pm

FLIR is finally done. I damaged the cable on installation, stretched it and broke the copper wires but not the insulation. Ran a new cable and put RJ45s on each end with a RayNet to RJ45 adapter on each end. Nice when it came together! Should have my rebuilt elbow July 9th, and I will have it running by the 10th!

Return to “The Project Center”