Welcome to Pursuit Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Pursuit Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Pursuit Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Pursuit or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on PursuitBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

any one own a 2460 denali? Looking at one for Great lakes

ImageHave a question or issue that is model specific? The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Pursuit Boats.

Topic author
scooterj

Postby scooterj » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:08 am

I am looking for a boat for lake trout fishing and salmon fishing on the great lakes and the 2460 Denali looks to be the boat for me. If anyone has expierence with this model I would appreciate any feedback. I am presently fishing Lake Superior and Lake Michigan with a 21ft Ranger and would like to move up to a larger boat as I sometimes fish 30 miles out in lake superior and the 21ft boat is just not enough boat. I need a trailerable boat in the 24 to 25 foot class and the 2460 looks to be a good fit. The weather can change during the day on lake superior and a larger boat will offer more safety than what I now have. If you own a 2460 and have any feed back on your boat I would like to hear about the menuverabilty, stability and general expierence you have had on this boat. The boat I am looking at is a 2000 model with 450 hours and is a very well kept fresh water boat.
Thanks Scott

hnt

Postby hnt » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:15 am

I have a 1996 2460 Denalli with Mercruiser 5.7 LX efi and Bravo III. I live in Eastern CT and operate on Long Island Sound and the surrounding coastal waters. I think you will find that the 2460 is a very capable boat for your mission.
The hull has a nice bow flare and the trim tabs really make a difference in keeping the pounding down in choppy seas. The boat also has a low center of gravity so it is very stable and the self bailing cockpit is great.

These boats are timeless in their design and the build quality of the Pursuit is really great.

Good luck, I think you will be happy with the 2460

Topic author
scooterj

Postby scooterj » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:00 pm

Thank you I think it will make a great boat for my needs. In discussions with owner and pretty sure we will come to terms. I will be adding a radar arch and would like any suggestions from the forum as to brand and also any suggestions on radar systems, on the lake superior fog can develop quickly in the summer and some times just over parst of the lake so radar becomes important. Any feedback would be apprieceited.

tjmile1
Vessel Info: 1995 Pursuit Denali 2460

Postby tjmile1 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:08 pm

This is a response to an old thread, but maybe someone will be helped. I have mixed feelings about my 1995 2460 Denali. Is it seaworthy for Lake Erie?, sure. I bought it because I was new to boating, wanted a serious boat for fishing (trolling mainly), and I thought I found it. It was fully equipped with a Hummingbird Hellix 7, Big Jon electric downriggers and planer board reels/mast, plus a windlass anchor for perch fishing (Except you need to go to the bow to tie it off which isn't' easy. It's a little unsafe as it's not a walk around and the cuddy lid is too small for a grown man to fit through). So what's the real problem? Speed. Being new to trolling for walleye I didn't know that slower is better, i.e., 3 mph is too fast, and that's the slowest my Denali will go with the Volvo Penta 350. There is no way to run the engine slower according to the owners manual.

What are the options:

- Plastic buckets? Not very effective and rather ghetto, although that's what I'm using.

- Trolling plate? Not with the Volvo dual prop.

- Trolling bags? I could throw another couple hundred into that, but it's a bandaid for a sucking chest wound. Not to mention, idling this big V8 engine for hours on end is less than desirable. It's pretty bad all around.

- Kicker? Adding a kicker appears the "only" legitimate option and that's going to cost me around 4K minimum. I thought I got a good deal when I paid $9500 for my boat, and now I have to throw a 1/3 more at it just to make it legitimate for trolling. I'm not happy (understatement), but I don't have much of a choice other than trying to sell the boat. So I plan to have a kicker added and I hope that doesn't get screwed up. I know another Pursuit owner in my marina that has a kicker on his swim deck. I'll have to get advice from him before making my move to upgrade it.

Frankly, I wouldn't feel right trying to sell it to someone else unless they had no intention of trolling. It really sucks to buy the wrong boat for your first boat, but that's what I did. It's not really my fault since it was decked out fully as if it was designed for trolling. Without a kicker, it's absolutely the wrong boat for trolling. I know plenty of other people happy with their I/O's and trolling plates, but again, not an option with the dual prop. Also, it doesn't steer very straight when trolling in 1-3' chop either. Before you beat me up about that, I've been on a lot of other boats that track a lot more true at trolling speed. It is what it is.

I need a kicker for the added security too. One other issue I'm having is the wonky safety switch to turn on the engine. I read the owners manual, I had the previous owner show me how to start it. The problem is the switch is not reliable. Half the time it doesn't want to start, and I have to make repeated attempts to get the shift lever in just the right position before it will. It's just a bad design. So bad that they have to mention it in the owners manual as a common issue. It's also bad because my wife is afraid we'll get stranded out on the water, with good reason. My first time out I went perch fishing and couldn't get it re-started. I had to be towed in. Pretty embarrassing. She doesn't trust it and I don't blame her. My wife's words "You bought a shit boat". I don't agree with her fully, but I get her point.
These users thanked the author tjmile1 for the post:
YOLO (Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:39 am)

tjmile1
Vessel Info: 1995 Pursuit Denali 2460

Postby tjmile1 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:03 am

I added a brand new Suzuki 9.9 kicker, Ez-Steer, and big bracket to attach it to. All in all, it cost me $4000 to add the kicker. The trolling has been better, but the only mistake I made was buying a tiller handle model. I thought I could get away with just setting the speed at the tiller handle. Bad move on my part. I now have to add either an I-troll or remote throttle of some kind. The Suzuki won't maintain a consistent throttle even with the adjusting knob tightened all the way. To make matters worse, I had a boat mechanic with 43 years experience install this thing and the little trolling motor does not appear to be charging my batteries. Every move I've made to make this boat safer and more enjoyable has been a flop. My advice is if you're looking to do slow trolling, because of the inability to add a trolling plate, buy a different boat. Mine is up for sale. :banghead:

Return to “General Pursuit Boats Forum”