Welcome to Pursuit Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Pursuit Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Pursuit Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Pursuit or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on PursuitBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

2460 Denali >> front compartment water drainage/bidge pump?

ImageHave a question or issue that is model specific? The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Pursuit Boats.

Topic author
carboncow
Vessel Info: 1997 Denali 2460
Volvo Pental 7.4L DP-S
(in the middle of a full restoration)

Postby carboncow » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:59 pm

Tracking down a funky smell as we go through our new to us 1997 2460 Denali.

We noted while in the forward buddy there is an access hatch for the batteries and under there is water in a bulkhead that doesn't appear to drain anywhere.

1. Should it be draining to the back of the boat?
2. If not is there a forward bilge pump that would be basically inaccessible based on it's location. I believe the PDF manual mentions it but the electronics (switches) do not.

We have a mess of water in there. I've pulled out 10+ gallons from the previous owner and my extensive cleaning and I'll bet there is another 5-10 in there. Maybe if a get it dry water will stay out or is that wishful thinking on a boat?

thx.

Shawn
Ohio
Purchased boat for $5K on a trailer with a running (but tired engine). Currently working on new engine, maintenance on outdrive, new vinyl, new canvas, new swim platform and radar arch. Will be in the water by Aug 2020. Let me know what question you have!

DR Hyatt
Vessel Info: 1999 2460 Pursuit Denali

Postby DR Hyatt » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:35 am

I own a 1999 2460 Denali and have the same problem. I don’t believe there is a forward bilge pump in mine. I pump about a gallon or two out every year. I have no idea where the water comes from. I was thinking about putting a 4” inspection hatch in the floor just above the drain that’s already there. This would make it easier to get the water out.

Topic author
carboncow
Vessel Info: 1997 Denali 2460
Volvo Pental 7.4L DP-S
(in the middle of a full restoration)

Postby carboncow » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:44 pm

DR Hyatt wrote:Source of the post I was thinking about putting a 4” inspection hatch in the floor just above the drain that’s already there. This would make it easier to get the water out.

Mind had a little cut out between the batteries just beyond the door that allows me to get a pump and/or shop vac hose in there. I flooded that compartment today several times to get clean water in there...wonder why they don't limber hole that to back. After restoring to other boats down to the stingers there is so much that makes my head shake.

Do these Pursuits from the 90s have foam in them somewhere? I'm curious if my smell may be embedded in those and thus stuck with this smell for eternity.
Purchased boat for $5K on a trailer with a running (but tired engine). Currently working on new engine, maintenance on outdrive, new vinyl, new canvas, new swim platform and radar arch. Will be in the water by Aug 2020. Let me know what question you have!

Floundermaster
Vessel Info: 1996 Denali 24’

Postby Floundermaster » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:38 pm

My 96 denali’s cabin is ripe also, I pulled about 20 gallons of pond scum out of it when it sat on the trailer. It seems to me that the hull is deeper in the bow and when on plane the water makes it back to the rear bilge.
These users thanked the author Floundermaster for the post:
carboncow (Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:03 pm)

Return to “General Pursuit Boats Forum”