Welcome to Pursuit Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Pursuit Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Pursuit Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Pursuit or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on PursuitBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

3000 express water in cabin

ImageHave a question or issue that is model specific? The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Pursuit Boats.

Dan1
Vessel Info: 3000 Express Cummins 4BTA's

Postby Dan1 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:12 am

“What was your solution/fix to pourous spot in you anchor locker?”

It wasn't a structural issue, just not finished correctly,water wasn't coming out from the area.I just cleaned it up and glassed it.

“What sealant did you use for the aluminum fitting the anchor line secures to?”

It was a very long time ago…. probably 4200

“removed what appeared to be 4200 on topside of aluminum fitting anchor line secures to”

Someone has smeared 4200 over the top of the aluminum fitting? Possibly chasing a leak? Its been a while but from memory the plate is secured with 2 or 3 short self taping screws?

Where your water is coming out is way higher than the aluminum fitting and the drain, if they are leaking water in, they would now be leaking out -suggest you vacuum it out and observe before disturbing anything else.

Are you 100% confident water is coming out from within the inner core in the area marked?
For water to be flowing out of where you are saying the hull must be 3/4 full of water…..
Water leaks can be deceiving, suggest you tape some paper towel to the side above that area and observe.

David B (Boston)
Vessel Info: 2002 3000 Express with twin Crusaders

Postby David B (Boston) » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:13 am

Pursuit07 you are not alone. I'm observing the same on my 2002 3000 express. Excellent suggestions from all! I will look into them. I have wet carpet on the starboard side under the dinette and wet carpet on the step in front of the v berth next to the locker. Sounds like inspecting the windshield and fixing any gaps along with inspecting the AC unit will address the dinette side. Will that address the v berth step carpet or is that from another place? Everthing looks dry under the v berth. I don't see any staining.

No one has mentioned the deck hatches. Could those be the culprit? Thanks!

Topic author
Pursuit07
Vessel Info: 2000 pursuit 3000 express

Postby Pursuit07 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:34 pm

Where the tape is attached in picture is where water slowly leaks out, runs down and into vberth storage area. This water flows towards closet and carpet was wet at step up area to vberth.

That’s why I’m confused as to where the water is coming from. It leaking that high leads me to believe it’s coming somewheres from the deck but am clueless where to look next.

Dan1

Postby Dan1 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:32 pm

but am clueless where to look next

I hear your frustration, remember it well….

Has any water collected in the area under the anchor locker drain?

Areas above where your water is flowing out that could be leaking.

The engine room vents may still be leaking.

or the two thru hulls for the fishbox and bilge pump in the steering compartment

or the fuel tank/freshwater holding tank vent fittings.

Where the sides of the hull meet the gunnel it transitions from cored to solid glass about two inches below the gunnel height (the gunwale bumper strip screws into that solid glass) even if they where completely stripped out or screws missing water could not find its way into the inner core.

In the engine room remove some of the wiring saddle screws that are well below your leak height, poke into them with some wire and see if you get any water, theres also a bunch of them behind the refrigerator and in the bathroom cabinet.

David B

I have wet carpet on the starboard side under the dinette

Is the thin strip of carpet under the dinnette that runs from the locker to the seat that houses the AC wet also?

Is the compartment under the seat next to the locker wet?

Is the locker wet?

I assume your talking about the cabin roof hatches and the four cabin windows.

There is two places these can leak -the aluminum frame to the fiberglass and the seal between the perspex and the aluminum frame.

Remove the inner trim rings, if the seal between the frame and fiberglass is leaking the felt under the roof lining will be wet.

If the seal between the perspex and frame is leaking the the trim ring will be full of water.

Leave the trim rings off and moniter.

Be gentle with the trim rings,they are fragile and expensive, mine where siliconed to the roof lining,gently pry them.

Also pressurise your fresh water sytem,put your head in under the kitchen/bath sinks,look at the base of the toilet and the other fittings in the engine room,your freshwater lines are red and blue pex,the green pex is saltwater.

Topic author
Pursuit07
Vessel Info: 2000 pursuit 3000 express

Postby Pursuit07 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:59 pm

Dan1 wrote:Source of the post Has

There wasn’t any standing water but felt very wet. I have the anchor rope out and letting it dry. Am going to flood the anchor locker with dye tomorrow and see what I can find.

I’ll take a look at all cabin windows and roof hatches.

I did remove and reseal my deck navigation lights over a month ago. Thought that could be part of the problem.

After epoxying the engine room vents last year I didn’t not put a sealer around the vent as it was flush. Two days ago after everything dried out I ran a tight bead of 4200 around both vents. Windows are now taken care of. Going to seal other areas mentioned and get the hose out and see what I may find.

I’ll remove screws and check. Seems like all water has been coming starboard side.

Thanks for all the information and replies Dan1. Has been extremely helpful and feel I’m finally getting somewheres and narrowing down the culprit!

Dan1

Postby Dan1 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:43 pm

Am going to flood the anchor locker with dye tomorrow and see what I can find.

At this point its irrelevant, your leak is about 3 feet above the bottom of the anchor locker

I’ll take a look at all cabin windows and roof hatches.

I was responding to David B about the hatches, There is no way water leaking from the hatches can end up in the inner core of the boat.

I know Ive brought this up 3 times but for your boat to be leaking out of the inner core that high up the entire side would be filled with water,the boat would have a large list to starboard, and you would feel it driving it, removing some of those wiring saddle screws will confirm that, leave the screws out and observe for a few days.

Again - slow trickle leaks can be really deceiving, and its an awkward area to get your eyes on,my money is on the water flowing down from above where you think its coming out and kicking out on that rough glasswork making it appear its leaking from there, mark the spot with a permanent marker, throw some silicone over it and seal the ‘hole’, get down there the next time it rains and watch.

I’m hoping you will see water from above diverting around the silicone.
These users thanked the author Dan1 for the post:
Pursuit07 (Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:58 pm)

David B (Boston)
Vessel Info: 2002 3000 Express with twin Crusaders

Postby David B (Boston) » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:43 am

Is the thin strip of carpet under the dinnette that runs from the locker to the seat that houses the AC wet also? Is the compartment under the seat next to the locker wet?

Yeah its the thin strip of carpet on the starboard side that runs between the two dinette seats fore and aft. Underneath the forward starboard seat is dry, underneath the aft starboard seat is dry. Based on what others have said, sounds like water is moving down the inside of the hull towards the bilge and getting absorbed by the carpet.

Is the locker wet?

It doesn't appear to be, but I will stick my head in there and get a closer look.

I assume your talking about the cabin roof hatches and the four cabin windows.

There is two places these can leak -the aluminum frame to the fiberglass and the seal between the perspex and the aluminum frame.

Remove the inner trim rings, if the seal between the frame and fiberglass is leaking the felt under the roof lining will be wet.

If the seal between the perspex and frame is leaking the the trim ring will be full of water.

Leave the trim rings off and moniter.

Be gentle with the trim rings,they are fragile and expensive, mine where siliconed to the roof lining,gently pry them.

Also pressurise your fresh water sytem,put your head in under the kitchen/bath sinks,look at the base of the toilet and the other fittings in the engine room,your freshwater lines are red and blue pex,the green pex is saltwater.

Good advice! I'll take a look at those. I've rebedded that type of hatch before on other boats.

Dan1

Postby Dan1 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:44 am

sounds like water is moving down the inside of the hull towards the bilge and getting absorbed by the carpet.

I had water there, originated from the engine room - came out under the vinyl and weeped down the fiberglass, I looked at that a bunch of times before I actually spotted it.

Try reaching in and up to where the vinyl liner is finished off under the seat,if the water is running down the inside of the vinyl liner it will come out where it is trimmed off above the arrow, the felt backing will be wet.Water will run from there under the gap in the floor/seat (second arrow) on to the carpet.

That may confirm if your leak is from above or running down the floor alongside the air con.
seat.png

Is the carpet wet up high,or only where it meets the floor? You could take the trim off (x) and feel the felt behind the vinyl.
Table.png
Only registered members can view attachments. Registration is fast and FREE!

Woodworker2001

Postby Woodworker2001 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:30 pm

Since fixing my windscreen and replacing carpet I have been fortunate not to have any additional water problems in this area

Return to “General Pursuit Boats Forum”