Welcome to Pursuit Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Pursuit Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Pursuit Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Pursuit or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on PursuitBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

2460 Denali Cuddy " remodel"

Anything related to the operation of your boat that doesn't fit another forum category. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
Puddlejockey
Home Port: Lake Norman, NC
Vessel Info: 2002 Pursuit 2460 Denali
"Paws Button"

Postby Puddlejockey » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:05 am

Hey all!
I'm new to both this forum, and Pursuits in general; so howdy!

We just picked up a 2002 2460 Denali - naming her "Paws Button" btw ;
And the interior of the cuddy " wall carpet" is a tad stained in spots- and generally ugly. It looks like...17 year old carpet in a fishing boat.

I'd like to remove all that carpet and redo the interior bulkheads with teak trim or marine grade lapboard; potentially with a thin layer of material to replace the sound deadening lost by carpet removal - or maybe just remove it and go gelcoat with some teak strips a la sailboat v berth. does anyone know what's under that carpet; and what I'm going to find in regards to wiring, gel coat, etc? I'd also like to remove it to get a better idea of the cause of the stains ( good moisture readings in hull but you never know) ; but don't want to open a can of worms for an essentially
Cosmetic upgrade/ repair.

Thanks!
These users thanked the author Puddlejockey for the post:
carboncow (Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:41 pm)

MarkT
Home Port: Mattituck, Long Island
Vessel Info: 1999 Pursuit 3000 Express, twin Cummins 4-BTAs

Postby MarkT » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:11 am

I believe it is glued on, and it may have a wire to a light under it. Taking it off could be a can of worms. maybe before you go that route you could try carpet cleaner on it? You can always pull it of if it does not clean up. If you do you will most likely have quite a bit of glue residue to scrape and remove chemically to get to a smooth finish. Try a test removal in a hidden area.

AndyB
Home Port: James Island, SC
Vessel Info: 1989 2350WA I/O

Postby AndyB » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:11 am

I don’t know for sure about pursuits. But from what I’ve seen under the carpet in other boats it is not faired to a nice smooth finish either. May find that if you want a nice gel coated finish that you may also need to do quite a bit of fairing first.
These users thanked the author AndyB for the post:
Capt. Heavy (Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:30 pm)

1989 2350WA
Volvo Penta 5.7L I/O

Topic author
Puddlejockey
Home Port: Lake Norman, NC
Vessel Info: 2002 Pursuit 2460 Denali
"Paws Button"

Postby Puddlejockey » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:09 pm

Thanks! The gelcoat was my primary concern; but I've been so impressed with the build quality that I held out hopes for some good news. :)
Will def just try shampooing / cleaning it first
Luckily- this weekend is one of only two weekends a year when I avoid our local lake like the plague- so I should have some time to tinker. :)

J

michael avedis
Vessel Info: 1997 2460 Denali repowered with 383

Postby michael avedis » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:35 pm

my 1997 2460 had the same issue with the stained material - I removed all the side material but left the bow and aft sections combination of getting tired and reasonable clean. I replaced it with Sailrite hull liner - perfect match and other than a time consuming job not difficult. Big part is cleaning old glue of hull - that is reason for recovering with something.

the wires I found covered - are wiper motors- and alone starboard side- near top wires to anchor well.

I removed the cabinet on the left as well and the narrow wall on the right.

the windshields tend to leak then passing through hull with some wires come thru- don't recall what they fed could be the wiper motor.

should you use the hull liner from sailrite make sure you use plenty of spray adhesive.

my job can out great- we now sleep there and feel good about it-- also installed a small fan.

have fun

atwr
Vessel Info: 1999 Denali

Postby atwr » Wed May 27, 2020 1:17 pm

i cleaned my headliner recently used a mold / bleach spray from Ace Hardware and scrub brush. Its clean but not great- I am in the same position as you

carboncow
Vessel Info: 1997 Denali 2460
Volvo Pental 7.4L DP-S
(in the middle of a full restoration)

Postby carboncow » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:43 pm

michael avedis wrote:Source of the post my 1997 2460 had the same issue with the stained material - I removed all the side material but left the bow and aft sections combination of getting tired and reasonable clean. I replaced it with Sailrite hull liner - perfect match and other than a time consuming job not difficult. Big part is cleaning old glue of hull - that is reason for recovering with something.

the wires I found covered - are wiper motors- and alone starboard side- near top wires to anchor well.

I removed the cabinet on the left as well and the narrow wall on the right.

the windshields tend to leak then passing through hull with some wires come thru- don't recall what they fed could be the wiper motor.

should you use the hull liner from sailrite make sure you use plenty of spray adhesive.

my job can out great- we now sleep there and feel good about it-- also installed a small fan.

have fun

Can you offer a link to which product you used from Sail Right?
Purchased boat for $5K on a trailer with a running (but tired engine). Currently working on new engine, maintenance on outdrive, new vinyl, new canvas, new swim platform and radar arch. Will be in the water by Aug 2020. Let me know what question you have!

carboncow
Vessel Info: 1997 Denali 2460
Volvo Pental 7.4L DP-S
(in the middle of a full restoration)

Postby carboncow » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:44 pm

Puddlejockey wrote:Source of the post Hey all!
I'm new to both this forum, and Pursuits in general; so howdy!

We just picked up a 2002 2460 Denali - naming her "Paws Button" btw ;
And the interior of the cuddy " wall carpet" is a tad stained in spots- and generally ugly. It looks like...17 year old carpet in a fishing boat.

Thanks!

How did you do on this project from last year? Any photos you want to share?
Purchased boat for $5K on a trailer with a running (but tired engine). Currently working on new engine, maintenance on outdrive, new vinyl, new canvas, new swim platform and radar arch. Will be in the water by Aug 2020. Let me know what question you have!

DR Hyatt
Vessel Info: 1999 2460 Pursuit Denali

Postby DR Hyatt » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:16 pm

I cleaned mine (1999 2460 Denali) last year and had great success with oxi clean. The previous owner had soda stains, and dark spots of some kind all over the sides. I took a small bucket and mixed oxi about 50/50 with water and blotted the stains with a rag soaked in the solution. The stains just disappeared before my eyes. It was just like the commercial. My carpet looks good as new. Give it a try before you rip it out...

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”