Welcome to Pursuit Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Pursuit Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Pursuit Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Pursuit or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on PursuitBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

3000 Express Side Vent Core Repair

Anything related to the operation of your boat that doesn't fit another forum category. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
DiverDux
Home Port: Fairpot Harbor, Ohio
Vessel Info: 2001 Pursuit 3000 Express: Scorpio V

Postby DiverDux » Wed May 13, 2020 9:01 pm

I am waiting on the weekend to begin repairs(The weather is finally supposed to warm-up.) to the hull of my 3000 Express. I have water getting into the cabin and I suspect that the intrusion is from the area of the side vents. My vents pried off with just the slightest of pressure and encouragement from behind.

The wood core is wet and rotted in this area. I do not know bad the core is, but I am not expecting anything too bad. The survey showed only slightly elevated moisture levels extending about 6"-8" below the bottom of the vent and 3"-4" for and aft.

The plan is to remove the compromised wood by digging it out until I get to solid wood, or until i can no longer reach down to continue the removal.

Once satisfied with the removal step, I am going to attempt to dry it as much as possible by applying gentle heat from a halogen light. The intensity will be adjusted by placing the light in a position that gets enough heat to help the evaporation process without damaging the hull with too much heat.

Once dried out, I am going to apply some acetone to the core. The evaporation quality of the acetone will carry any moisture with it as it evaporates.

I purchased a product called Arjay 6011: Ceramic Transom Pour. I am going to use this product to fill the void left from the core removal step. The company assured me that slight moisture (dampness) will not impact the overall cure of the fill product.

I am planning to leave a slight gap all around the vent opening to allow the application of appropriately thickened polyester resin to seal the repaired core. The plan is to have a permanent, lifetime fix for this issue.

I will keep you all up to date and post photographs as the repair progresses.
These users thanked the author DiverDux for the post (total 3):
Capt. Heavy (Wed May 13, 2020 10:29 pm) • Gali (Thu May 14, 2020 5:42 pm) • RJ2001 (Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:08 pm)

“Only the mountain has lived long enough to listen objectively to the howl of the wolf.”
― Aldo Leopold

Woodworker2001

Postby Woodworker2001 » Thu May 14, 2020 8:06 am

Please take pictures along the way. This repair is in my future. I think my vents would come out with some persuasion and they also have slightly elevated moisture readings. Never really messed with epoxy so not sure on thickening process but seems straight forward

Topic author
DiverDux

Postby DiverDux » Thu May 14, 2020 12:19 pm

Absolutely on the photos. And, just a FYI, only because you used the term "epoxy," there is a difference between "polyester" and "epoxy." They don't act the same and have different applications, so we have to be careful which one we use. There is a Youtube channel called "Boatworks Today" that is incredibly informative. If you don't know about it here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/user/boatworkstoday/featured
These users thanked the author DiverDux for the post (total 2):
Woodworker2001 (Thu May 14, 2020 8:03 pm) • RJ2001 (Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:08 pm)

“Only the mountain has lived long enough to listen objectively to the howl of the wolf.”
― Aldo Leopold

Gali
Vessel Info: Pending:
1999 Pursuit 3000 Express w/ Cummins

Postby Gali » Thu May 14, 2020 5:42 pm

Ill keep an eye on this. I think this is in my very near future. I dont have any moisture readings/or leaks, but one started getting loose ontop and I need to reseal it. I am thinking if I put in the effort to reseal may as well remove, clean up, and reattach properly on both sides. I'd like to get it done in the next few days prior to going in the water. What is your plan to seal the edge around the vent once your repair is complete?

Gali
Vessel Info: Pending:
1999 Pursuit 3000 Express w/ Cummins

Postby Gali » Thu May 14, 2020 6:31 pm

Side note, not to go off topic but since you seem to know about sealing related work. Have you done anything to seal the windsheild where it meets the fiberglass and how about replacement gaskets for around the windsheild. I can't find anything for replacing those gaskets and Pursuit wasnt able to help either.

Woodworker2001

Postby Woodworker2001 » Thu May 14, 2020 8:05 pm

DiverDux wrote:Source of the post Absolutely on the photos. And, just a FYI, only because you used the term "epoxy," there is a difference between "polyester" and "epoxy." They don't act the same and have different applications, so we have to be careful which one we use. There is a Youtube channel called "Boatworks Today" that is incredibly informative. If you don't know about it here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/user/boatworkstoday/featured

Yes absolutely love his videos! My experience with fiberglass epoxy and polyester resin is very limited. I am going to be taking on this project next winter!!!

bnc

Postby bnc » Thu May 14, 2020 9:05 pm

On my boat, the bottom edge of the cut out is only about 2in deep and is sealed off inside at the chine. Water shouldn't be able to get to the next section of coring below. It has a much better chance of going forward or aft.

Topic author
DiverDux

Postby DiverDux » Thu May 14, 2020 9:37 pm

Hi- Woodworker-
Glad to hear that you know about BWT videos. He has done the do-it-yourself boating community a great service.
Ed
― Aldo Leopold

Topic author
DiverDux

Postby DiverDux » Thu May 14, 2020 10:34 pm

Gali wrote:Source of the post Ill keep an eye on this. I think this is in my very near future. I dont have any moisture readings/or leaks, but one started getting loose ontop and I need to reseal it. I am thinking if I put in the effort to reseal may as well remove, clean up, and reattach properly on both sides. I'd like to get it done in the next few days prior to going in the water. What is your plan to seal the edge around the vent once your repair is complete?

Hi Gail-
Pursuit did not seal the cut out for the vent. The wood coring is exposed and the adhesive/caulk that the factory used to install the vent cover is all that is keeping water from accessing the core. I am going seal my repair with thickened poly resin and then install the vent cover with a good adhesive calk such as Lifecaulk, 4200 or 4000 UV.

If you are going to seal yours with caulking, understand that it will be a temporary fix. I would seriously consider a more permanent fix similar to what I am doing. That caulk will eventually fail and you will have to deal with the resulting rot. If you seal it with caulk to get you through the summer, you could address the issue over the winter.
Ed
― Aldo Leopold

Topic author
DiverDux

Postby DiverDux » Thu May 14, 2020 10:48 pm

Gali wrote:Source of the post Side note, not to go off topic but since you seem to know about sealing related work. Have you done anything to seal the windsheild where it meets the fiberglass and how about replacement gaskets for around the windsheild. I can't find anything for replacing those gaskets and Pursuit wasnt able to help either.

We are going to address that issue too. We (my Brother and I) are planning to remove the windshield screws and re-bed them. If the windshield is loose, the plan is to see what is under it and handle it as appropriate. At the very least re-bed the screws. We'll see what we get into!

Going to re-bed the hatches and windows too. I know what youare thinking, that's a bunch of work! And it is, but we have three other highly skilled dockmates to help. We all bring our time together and work on each other's boats to get things like this done. We'll be in the water in no time at all. Kind of Jonesing though, we are usually in and fishing by nid April, but the weather hasn't left us get much done and with the current health crisis, there isn't really a rush. Going to use the time to get things done. I'll post photos as we progress.
― Aldo Leopold

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”