Welcome to Pursuit Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Pursuit Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Pursuit Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Pursuit or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on PursuitBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

3000 Express Cabin Leak

Anything related to the operation of your boat that doesn't fit another forum category. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
Woodworker2001

3000 Express Cabin Leak

Postby Woodworker2001 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:19 pm

Alright guys. I found a cabin leak around Labor Day weekend when we were staying on the boat and had som very heavy rain. On the stbd side of the boat the carpet by the hanging locker was wet. We later found the front of the v berth cushions, the sweatshirts in the bottom of the hanging locker all to be wet as well as I found the wood in the bottom of the forward dinette storage area to be all soft and rotted. I thought maybe the forward hatch but that was not it. Nothing shows signs of water coming in but this was a pretty good amount of water. Any ideas?

bobbruce
Vessel Info: 1999 3000 express

3000 Express Cabin Leak

Postby bobbruce » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:54 pm

I have had as well at the portholes and the deck hatches. I believe also from the anchor locker and the bow rail connections I need to check next

MarkT
Home Port: Mattituck, Long Island
Vessel Info: 1999 Pursuit 3000 Express, twin Cummins 4-BTAs

3000 Express Cabin Leak

Postby MarkT » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:57 pm

As mentioned by Bob above, but also check the a/c discharge line and thru hull, the a/c pan etc. I also had the screws that hold the windshield frame leak into the overhead. had to take each one out and seal them with silicone when re-installed.

Topic author
Woodworker2001

3000 Express Cabin Leak

Postby Woodworker2001 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:36 pm

bobbruce wrote:Source of the post I have had as well at the portholes and the deck hatches. I believe also from the anchor locker and the bow rail connections I need to check next

I just don’t see how the port holes get the front v berth cushion wet. Where was it leaking from the anchor locker?

Did you take the port holes out and reseal them. I don’t see any signs of leaking from the gaskets on anything. I don’t believe it is from the hatches because I pulled the headliner out and sprayed down the front hatch. No signs of water. Gotta get wife down to spray some areas while I watch for signs of water here. It was a fair amount of water wouldn’t think would be too hard to find

Does anyone know if the bow rail is just screws or are there nuts on the back side?

Dan1
Vessel Info: 3000 Express Cummins 4BTA's

3000 Express Cabin Leak

Postby Dan1 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:22 am

Water in the hanging locker may be coming from the engine room via the hole drilled in the ER/CABIN bulkhead for the AC raw water feed hose.Have a look next to the AC in the cabin under the seat,you will see the feed hose for the AC,have a look in behind the seat (remove panel the gives access to under the helm area) the AC supply hose comes through the bulkhead in the bottom corner.

Water will travel past the A/C,past the seat and behind the carpet glued to the side of the boat and end up in the locker.If thats the case your E/R air intake box, or the hoses that drain it, or the upper deck drainage system may be the culprit.

The water may also be coming from the windscreen on the Port side,the wires that supply the windscreen wipers travel through the windscreen frame base. Pursuit didn't seal that hole and the water will flow down and it ends up under the refrigerator and from there it ends up in the storage area under the bed,from there it will fill the hanging locker.

Its an easy fix,remove the rubber strip on the inside of the screen (just pop it out with a screwdriver ) and you will see the wires.

As Mark T suggested,windscreen frame screws….

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”