Welcome to Pursuit Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Pursuit Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Pursuit Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Pursuit or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on PursuitBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

3000 Express Rudder Repair

Anything related to the operation of your boat that doesn't fit another forum category. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
bnc

Postby bnc » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:59 pm

Update on this. Polished the best I could, filled the rest with JB weld and polished smooth. Changed the seals.

I've had no leaks since.
These users thanked the author bnc for the post:
Woodworker2001 (Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:03 am)

RJ2001
Vessel Info: 2001' 3000 Express

Postby RJ2001 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:12 pm

bobbruce wrote:Source of the post So I did remove mine ,found that same pitting. Cleaned pits with wire wheel deeply. Then applied 6 ten epoxy and polished smooth with plumbers grit cloth. Then drilled rudders and installed zines. So far so good.

Hard chrome plate will fit them from pitting for a lifetime. Can be expensive if you don't have a inside guy though.

dvosey264
Vessel Info: 2001 pursuit 3000 express. Twin Horizon inboards mpI

Postby dvosey264 » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:03 pm

Woodworker2001 wrote:Source of the post I do not know what stainless. But I changed seals a couple years ago. They still leaked so the next season I lowered one rudder about 1/2” and the other one 1/4”. They one I lowered close to a 1/2” didn’t leak anymore. The other one slowed but still leaked.

I have to pull them back out with trans project to get shafts out so I am replacing seals again and going to check the shafts better. I think mark filled his with epoxy and sanded smooth and has had good luck with that.
Where can I find an exploded view or similar diagram showing the anatomy of the rudder and seals?

MarkT
Home Port: Mattituck, Long Island
Vessel Info: 1999 Pursuit 3000 Express, twin Cummins 4-BTAs

Postby MarkT » Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:28 pm

264, contact Tides marine, they make the seals and have an installation guide. I installed a grease fitting just below the seals and shoot food grade grease in there to help keep it dry. I got the spot to drill from Tides.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”