Welcome to Pursuit Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Pursuit Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Pursuit Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Pursuit or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on PursuitBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

3000 Express Thru Hull drain replacements

Anything related to the operation of your boat that doesn't fit another forum category. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
REELAXIN
Home Port: Irondequoit Bay- lake Ontario
Vessel Info: 2002 3000 Express Crusader Captains Choice

Postby REELAXIN » Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:05 pm

I have had all three of my starboard stern drains (Aft bilges and fish well) deteriorate this spring at the interior 90 degree elbow. I begrudgingly took the first step last week and drilled a 6" access hole between the rod holder and stern cleat to assess the situation. The closest stainless replacement option I have found is an Attwood version for 1 1/8" hose ID barb but it appears to be too long for this tight spot. I think I am relegated to replacement with nylon again... it's been 20 years, so I guess it should last in freshwater now. Any other stainless thoughts here are appreciated.

All of the above is great, but now I am stressing out about all of the remaining thru hulls, particularly the several that are right on and in the waterline! I cannot imagine access to most of these within the engine room! Please provide horror story details for me so I can beginning planning my fall/winter work!

Dan1
Vessel Info: 3000 Express Cummins 4BTA's

Postby Dan1 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:57 pm

I replaced mine with Gemlux 90’s, access from behind the rod holder - see pics.

Ive replace every thru hull on the boat (and eliminated the ones on the sides on the waterline) I have access to to area through access doors that I installed.

With the four on the transom you have three options

Marelon or Trudesign composite (both are very good products) Marelon was what the boat was installed with from the factory
Bronze however they will need to be included in the bonding system
Stainless from Gemlux however they will need to be included in the bonding system

11/8 90’
https://gemlux.com/collections/cast-boa ... oducts/820

Trudesign (Gemlux are the US distributors)
https://www.trudesign.nz/marine/products

Marelon
https://www.forespar.com/marelon-marine ... bing.shtml
Only registered members can view attachments. Registration is fast and FREE!

Topic author
REELAXIN

Postby REELAXIN » Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:02 pm

Thanks Dan,
The first photo of the access door is by the helm behind what is my fire extinguisher it appears. I am assuming that the 2 forward bilges and the air conditioning drain can be accessed there. The cabin sink sump and some other drains can be accessed under the bathroom sink I think? Also it looks like marelon does not carry a 90 degree 1 1/8" hose barb option for the stern now. Are any of the others 90 degree or are they straight?

bnc

Postby bnc » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:25 pm

I did as Dan did and cut a hole behind the rod holder to gain limited access to the area.

I used 1" stainless straight thru hulls cut down in length and used a 1" bronze elbows and a custom stainless washer on the inside. I had to re-thread the elbows extra deep. I'm using the elbow as the thru-hull nut. Made sure that there were enough threads for the assembly to tighten up correctly.

It would have worked better if I had re-threaded the elbows to straight thread to match the thru-hulls, but I got them tight before running out of thread.

Sealed everything with 4200. My aft ones are well above the water so I didn't bother to add bonding to them.

I had to abandon my original hoses as they were secured with a clamp way in the back corner far from reach. New ones have a air-break loop above the thru-hull.

Dan1
Vessel Info: 3000 Express Cummins 4BTA's

Postby Dan1 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:25 pm

The first photo of the access door is by the helm behind what is my fire extinguisher it appears.

Yes, there’s a smaller door on the other side
I am assuming that the 2 forward bilges and the air conditioning drain can be accessed there. The cabin sink sump and some other drains can be accessed under the bathroom sink I think?

Mine is set up different now - from memory this is how it was from the factory

Port side
Three thru hull fittings on the waterline
11/8’ - access from engine room. Shower sump
2’ - access from engine room. Upper deck/live tank/air intake box drain
11/8’ - access from under bathroom sink. Kitchen/Bathroom sink sump

Starboard side
2’ On the waterline. Upper deck/air intake box drain. Access from engine room
1 1/8’ above the waterline. Engine room bilge pump. Access from engine room
3/4 above the waterline. Aircon discharge, access in cabin (under the AC/DC electrical panel)

Also it looks like marelon does not carry a 90 degree 1 1/8" hose barb option for the stern now. Are any of the others 90 degree or are they straight?

The stern thru hulls are two inch,I used straight on mine, 90’s would have been better, these two together should work
https://gemlux.com/collections/thru-hulls/products/8831
https://gemlux.com/collections/marine-a ... ducts/8758
There is also four 2’ 90’s on the lowerdeck under the stainless strainers, they connect to the four 2’ in the stern, these are the only ones that will fit.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TH-Marine-Thru ... 272?_ul=IN

Iv’e attached a factory build pic,circled are the Starboard thru hull connections
Only registered members can view attachments. Registration is fast and FREE!

Topic author
REELAXIN

Postby REELAXIN » Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:59 am

Thanks everyone

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”