Welcome to Pursuit Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Pursuit Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Pursuit Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Pursuit or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on PursuitBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fuel polishing

Anything related to the operation of your boat that doesn't fit another forum category. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
Judge

Fuel polishing

Postby Judge » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:29 pm

Anyone know if gas can be "polished" like diesel. I have not used a whole tank of gas in too long and what to get my to do list together for 2011..

YOLO

Fuel polishing

Postby YOLO » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:34 am

Yes, it can be cleaned similar to diesel. As long as you have direct access to the tank. The use a pvc pipe to pump out the fuel, filter it, then send it back to the tank. A friend just had it done and they got a bunch of gunk out the bottom of his gas tank in the process.

Plumbob

Fuel polishing

Postby Plumbob » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:13 pm

Can you tell me were this was done? I'm in CT and am considering doing that to my gas tank. I just purchased my boat a month ago and I know it sat last summer with ~1/3 tank of gas in it, probably for a year and a half.

NorthStar

Fuel polishing

Postby NorthStar » Sun May 29, 2011 11:13 am

It depends how bad or old your fuel is. I thought mine might need polishing as well since it sat in the tank outside for over a year but my Yamaha guy recommended this process, you may want to think of trying: Juice up the fuel with plenty of Octane booster and dump in some Marvel Mystery oil (both amounts depend on how much gas you have in the tank). Get some extra filter cartridges (just in case you get plugging) and the Racor clear filter bottom housing with a drain valve. Then run it somewhere that would be safe in case of breakdown. I checked the racor every 5 minutes to drain any water or gunk, actually had very little of either and the old gas ran great through my Yamaha 250. It ran great for several hours and since the tank pulls from the bottom (I think) it should be good to go although I wont go too far offshore until i have a fresh tank of fuel..

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”