Welcome to Pursuit Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Pursuit Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Pursuit Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Pursuit or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on PursuitBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Winter projects - 3000 Express

If you have a project idea or a completed one you would like to show off (major or minor)? Share it with the rest of us!

Topic author
Woodworker2001

Postby Woodworker2001 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:46 pm

Thought I would start a thread for those winter projects we are all working on:

My winter hit list
1. Buff wax inside and out
2. Full tune up - plugs, wires, cap rotor, coils, and check timing
3. New thermostat stbd motor
4. Fix fuel gauge sending unit - screws are stripped holding it to the tank.
5. Replace rudder shaft seals which are leaking
6. Refinish steps going to the cabin
7. Replace einsglass on rear drop curtains
8. Diagnose stbd transmission fluid leak - will have to wait until boat goes back in water.
9. Replace engine room bonding wires
10. Clean bolder back up
11. Add rod holders to verticals tubes going to the hardtop
12. Have cut less bearings replaced - found to be worn today
13....... who knows what else will creep up

Today’s progress

Got hull buffed rub tail down and ready for wax

63C40CEB-F67A-4FD7-AEA0-B6137D72C88E.jpeg

Tore apart trim tab actuator and thought it was just seals only to find this spacer to have come lose and been crushed on the inside so now I have to replace the top hinge assembly :banghead:
D9286F8E-408B-45B6-86F0-EB076B22D8B1.jpeg

And started pulling a few plugs to get an idea of condition. Found port and stbd motor to have different plugs in them.... I hate half a$$ work

E8F1FF17-BFC3-47EF-8ADE-E399C720D337.jpeg

And started researching how to replace rudder shaft seals. Did find some info on tides marine website. Plan to detail the process as long as I decide to tackle it myself
Only registered members can view attachments. Registration is fast and FREE!

bobbruce
Vessel Info: 1999 3000 express

Postby bobbruce » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:05 am

Awsome stuff. Following..

Topic author
Woodworker2001

Postby Woodworker2001 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:08 pm

Well I finished disassembling the actuator only to find two it is scored on the inside where the o-ring seals. Looks like it is a new actuator. Going to tak the other one apart before ordering new parts Incase the other one is messed up too :banghead: This list continues to grow as it alswasy does. Time to have a beer :beergood:
0FF3CC47-E90D-44B1-B077-27A9E4405402.jpeg

MarkT
Home Port: Mattituck, Long Island
Vessel Info: 1999 Pursuit 3000 Express, twin Cummins 4-BTAs

Postby MarkT » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:21 pm

Ah, the winter work list! Good stuff Dan. Rudder seals are easy enough. I will add some pictures. Be prepared to catch the rudder once you disconnect the tiller arm. It will drop like a rock. The seal is held in with a metal c clip, don't bend it. Mine started leaking because the bonding system was installed wrong, my rudder posts had pitted. I corrected the bonding system after getting info from Pursuit. Not wanting to buy new rudders or go through the expense of having the shafts built up and turned down, I put in new seals and did epoxy on the shafts and sanded them smooth. I then installed zinc fittings on each post and grease it with food grade grease (no pollution). No leaks since. I think the rudder seals are 1.25, Tides is where I got them from.

MarkT

Postby MarkT » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:29 pm

Speaking of seals Bob and Dan, take a look at what you have on the prop shafts as far as the hose with the seal on the end. If it is a straight hose you should get the new hose from Tides. The old seal carrier would break. Tides sold me the new set up at 1/2 price if I remember. You can see I also pulled the original bronze thru-hull and epoxied in a new fiberglass log. I also did the cutlass bearings at this time since the shafts were out.

Topic author
Woodworker2001

Postby Woodworker2001 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:21 am

Thanks for the info Mark. As always your insight on these projects is great!!! I am 99% sure I have the updated seals but do still have the bronze shaft logs. What made you replace those? That would be quite the job.

Unfortunately I am unable to drop the rudders the way my boat currently sets on blocks. It is inside heated so there is no getting a lift to it until spring. I am going to get everything ordered and ready to go for when it come out of the building. I hope they will block her up high for me to drop the rudders and get this addressed before dumping her. Tides does have a procedure for getting theses seals out without dropping the rudders but it seems very difficult to get seals out. You basically have to puncture the outside of the seal and pry it out.
Half want to pull shafts and have them balanced while rudder are out but not sure I have that kinda time or that it is necessary What are thoughts on this?

bobbruce
Vessel Info: 1999 3000 express

Postby bobbruce » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:31 pm

Great stuff guys... and happy New Year

MarkT

Postby MarkT » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:08 pm

Happy new Year to all!
Dan, I replaced the shaft logs because of some corrosion and an offset in the alignment. I talked with a man from West Systems for some time before I bit the bullet and went ahead and cut them out. Once I did this the alignment is such that even a current is enough to spin the props, the alignment is that good.

I was outside when I dropped the rudders, had to dig a hole. I don't know if I would tackle the seals with the rudders still in, getting the new seal pressed in and the clip in with the rudder post there would be a PITA! I used a large socket to drive it in, with the rudder post there I guess a piece of pipe would do, but that clip....

Unless the prop shafts had been bent at one time The only reason to pull them would be for the cutlass bearings. At that time you would also check the shaft coupling for fit. I also installed a drive saver, both for vibration control help (these 4 cylinder Cummins are notorious for shaking) and incase I did hit something. I cut 3/4 inch off the shaft to clear the strut but it is still long enough that if it failed I could remove it and have a shaft long enough to operate and get home. You can see the drive saver in the one picture.

Topic author
Woodworker2001

Postby Woodworker2001 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:53 am

Well it has been a long time off here but have finally gotten back at it...

Sent the rear drop curtain out to have the cracked glass repaired... ouch that bill is gonna hurt the wallet :banghead: :-O

Got the boat waxed from rub rail down.

Replaced the anodes on boat.

Got old trim grab actuators off the boat and all cleaned up ready for the new ones. I have to run the pump and get all the old fluid flushed out of the system that has water in it. And after pulling actuators realized I better paint in the pockets where it is hard to reach before I move on with reinstallation.

Dad is working on the stair treads to the cuddy. They are coming out nice.
CED81F8A-399D-4DA6-A86D-0B21CA4EE2D7.jpeg

Two strereo speakers are out and ready for replacement.

And mechanic is working on getting stripped fuel sending unit bolts out and doing the cutless bearings on the boat.

Can’t wait to get her in the water

MarkT

Postby MarkT » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:22 pm

"Dad" is doing a great job on those treds Dan! I can't wait to get started on my boat. Probably in a couple of weeks.
Last edited by MarkT on Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author MarkT for the post:
Woodworker2001 (Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:04 pm)

Return to “The Project Center”