Welcome to Pursuit Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Pursuit Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Pursuit Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Pursuit or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on PursuitBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

3000 Express Projects

If you have a project idea or a completed one you would like to show off (major or minor)? Share it with the rest of us!

Topic author
bnc

3000 Express Projects

Postby bnc » Sun May 31, 2020 8:47 am

Dan1 wrote:Source of the post
bnc wrote:A few pics of my trailer setup:

Thanks, very similar setup to mine -I remove the props and rudders to move it around (once every four years when I haul it and take the boat home)

Your boat looks great! Looking at your through hull on the Starb side (the large one) its just above the waterline, mine was lower, and permanently submerged, that is why I ended up doing the mods I did.

The three through hulls on the Port side where the same, all just below the waterline.

If you ever have to change out the two on the Starb side for the aft bilge pump and fishbox its doable but tricky,I replaced mine with these from gemlux

https://www.gemlux.com/78003

The 2 aft thru hulls are on my list of future repairs. They are well above the waterline so I opted to not do them yet. They are pretty beat up from the sun. I didn't see anyway of getting my arm up in there to tighten the new ones, or get the hoses back on. I was planning on having to cut out a 4in hole on the inside and put a deck plate over it, not ideal.

My boat has a slight list to port (even without someone in the boat). With 3/4 tank starboard, 1/2 tank port. The 3 midship thru hulls are in the water on the port side. Water is up to the green boot stripe on the port side. I suppose I'll have to keep the water tank kind of full to even the boat out.

Dan1
Vessel Info: 3000 Express Cummins 4BTA's

3000 Express Projects

Postby Dan1 » Sun May 31, 2020 10:13 am

bnc wrote:[ I was planning on having to cut out a 4in hole on the inside and put a deck plate over it, not ideal..

You don't need a 4' hole, see pics
Only registered members can view attachments. Registration is fast and FREE!

Woodworker2001

3000 Express Projects

Postby Woodworker2001 » Sun May 31, 2020 5:49 pm

Great info guys. And boat looks great. Good luck with the engine alarm

Topic author
bnc

3000 Express Projects

Postby bnc » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:11 pm

Boating season is officially over here in Ohio.

Turns out my engine alarm lead to larger repairs. I wound up compression checking my starboard engine (with the alarm) and found the 2 center cylinders dead / mostly dead on the starboard side. Pulled the head and found the valves were trashed from rust. I was able to replace the head on that side and we were back in business. Luckily the bores and pistons were a little dirty, but otherwise fine. I never did get the alarm scanned, but it hasn’t been back.

FYI, don’t buy the cheap water pressure sensors from eBay / Amazon. They are scaled wrong. I had a cheap one in there and it read ~40psi at idle. Not possible.

For you guys with the merc horizons in these boats: do you have riser spacers? I have no spacers in mine. Risers and bolted right to the manifold.

From what I learned, these boats have issues with water ingestion due to how low the engines are in relation to the water line. I *think* I can fit 1.75” riser spacers in and still clear the hatch. It’s not much, but better than nothing. The exhaust hoses seem like they need more down angle. These boats really need water lift mufflers, but there is no room. My boat has a fiberglass exhaust runner that I have not seen in any other similar boats.

MarkT
Home Port: Mattituck, Long Island
Vessel Info: 1999 Pursuit 3000 Express, twin Cummins 4-BTAs

3000 Express Projects

Postby MarkT » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:24 pm

Not too far behind you here in Long Island NY. I have heard of Merc equipped 30s having the engine issues due to water, but never heard of any with Crusader equipped 30s. But you are correct I believe in saying the exhaust needs more slope. Not much can be done in that regard.

Dan1
Vessel Info: 3000 Express Cummins 4BTA's

3000 Express Projects

Postby Dan1 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:41 pm

There is lift mufflers in mine (2001 model) factory installed,see attached pic.
I can vaguely recall an issue with water ingestion issue on some of the express’s,I believe there was a factory recall over it.

Post some pics of your engine/exhaust installation.

Topic author
bnc

3000 Express Projects

Postby bnc » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:15 pm

Ahhh. I knew there were mufflers next to the tanks, but didn’t know they were lift type mufflers. Thanks for the info.

See pic of my engine bay. All similar boats that I see have a fiberglass ‘Y’ with long rubber hoses from the manifolds.

From what I understand the recall was related to the newer dry joint exhaust manifolds.

Woodworker2001

3000 Express Projects

Postby Woodworker2001 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:39 pm

bnc wrote:Source of the post

Also back filled my engine vents with epoxy. I burned a half caulk gun size tube of 4200 and only made it half way around one, then ran out. Had to clean all of it off. Should use a lot less when I replenish my boat glue supply.

So if I understand correctly you used epoxy to fill the half round area from the lip to the outer edge of the vents. I assume so you could just run a bead of caulk around to adhere them rather than an absolute massive amount?

Tackling both vents and thru Hull’s this winter

Topic author
bnc

3000 Express Projects

Postby bnc » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:42 pm

Woodworker2001 wrote:Source of the post
bnc wrote:Source of the post

Also back filled my engine vents with epoxy. I burned a half caulk gun size tube of 4200 and only made it half way around one, then ran out. Had to clean all of it off. Should use a lot less when I replenish my boat glue supply.

So if I understand correctly you used epoxy to fill the half round area from the lip to the outer edge of the vents. I assume so you could just run a bead of caulk around to adhere them rather than an absolute massive amount?

Tackling both vents and thru Hull’s this winter

Correct. After filling the backside, I only had to use a small amount of caulk to stick them to the boat. I ran a continuous bead all the way around vs the 2 blobs the factory used originally.
These users thanked the author bnc for the post:
Woodworker2001 (Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:50 am)

Woodworker2001

3000 Express Projects

Postby Woodworker2001 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:51 am

Correct. After filling the backside, I only had to use a small amount of caulk to stick them to the boat. I ran a continuous bead all the way around vs the 2 blobs the factory used originally.

Did you block off and just fill around the edges or did you also fill down the center on the back side?

Return to “The Project Center”