Welcome to Pursuit Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Pursuit Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Pursuit Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Pursuit or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on PursuitBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

3000 Express Projects

If you have a project idea or a completed one you would like to show off (major or minor)? Share it with the rest of us!

DiverDux
Home Port: Fairpot Harbor, Ohio
Vessel Info: 2001 Pursuit 3000 Express: Scorpio V

3000 Express Projects

Postby DiverDux » Sun May 24, 2020 11:13 pm

Okay then. You'll sleep well kmowing that they are on there solid. I feel the same way about the cut out on my boat. It's epoxied in solid, so I doubt I'll ever have to remove them either. Nice feeling that the job is complete! Good job!!
“Only the mountain has lived long enough to listen objectively to the howl of the wolf.”
― Aldo Leopold

Topic author
bnc

3000 Express Projects

Postby bnc » Mon May 25, 2020 11:01 am

58316F52-0F9A-4F05-86CB-A122D4DC5C8D.jpeg

F9B34D4F-3DFA-4F9E-A26E-78C1A424E748.jpeg

I’m new to inboard boats, but I feel these rudders should be parallel?
Only registered members can view attachments. Registration is fast and FREE!

Dan1
Vessel Info: 3000 Express Cummins 4BTA's

3000 Express Projects

Postby Dan1 » Thu May 28, 2020 6:25 am

bnc wrote: I’m new to inboard boats, but I feel these rudders should be parallel?

Mine are not perfectly in parallel either.

BNC do you have any more pics of the trailer set up you could share? What make/model of trailer is it?

MarkT
Home Port: Mattituck, Long Island
Vessel Info: 1999 Pursuit 3000 Express, twin Cummins 4-BTAs

3000 Express Projects

Postby MarkT » Thu May 28, 2020 8:02 am

Very early in my career I was told rudders should have a slight amount of toe in.

Topic author
bnc

3000 Express Projects

Postby bnc » Thu May 28, 2020 8:10 am

Dan1 wrote:Source of the post
bnc wrote: I’m new to inboard boats, but I feel these rudders should be parallel?

BNC do you have any more pics of the trailer set up you could share? What make/model of trailer is it?

I'll have to get some more pictures. Trailer is an All-star brand (Miami, FL) 15,000 GVWR triple axle. Not sure I'd recommend this brand trailer if buying new. Rated for 30'-32' boat. I think I measured 27'-28' from bow roller to end of bunk. Its a typical standard I-beam bunk trailer. Props are pretty close to the ground, wouldn't recommend moving the boat with the props on. Rudders seem to have enough clearance. Shafts are close to the rear cross member, but are fine. We weighed my boat at 14,500 lbs loaded on trailer. Mine has 5.7L mercruisers with a tower. Approx 1/4 tank of fuel at the time. Trailer is 1,600 LBS. Pursuit is off a little on their 10,600 dry weight number.

I spoke to another guy with the same trailer, and he had added spacers under his bunk brackets to get the boat up some so he could trailer with the props on.

He also added flapper valves inside his exhausts to keep the water out when backing down the ramp. He told me the rear of the boat will dip low enough to allow water to force its way up into the manifolds, which the engines will gladly suck in.

Topic author
bnc

3000 Express Projects

Postby bnc » Thu May 28, 2020 8:15 am

MarkT wrote:Source of the post Very early in my career I was told rudders should have a slight amount of toe in.

I did some more research and found they need toe-in to avoid flutter. I saw a Cabo spec sheet on THT that specified 2-1/2in of toe at the trailing edge over the nominal centerline dimension at the shafts. By eye, Looks about right on my boat.

Dan1

3000 Express Projects

Postby Dan1 » Sat May 30, 2020 7:09 am

bnc wrote:

I'll have to get some more pictures. Trailer is an All-star brand (Miami, FL) 15,000 GVWR triple axle. Not sure I'd recommend this brand trailer if buying new. Rated for 30'-32' boat. I think I measured 27'-28' from bow roller to end of bunk. Its a typical standard I-beam bunk trailer. Props are pretty close to the ground, wouldn't recommend moving the boat with the props on. Rudders seem to have enough clearance. Shafts are close to the rear cross member, but are fine. We weighed my boat at 14,500 lbs loaded on trailer. Mine has 5.7L mercruisers with a tower. Approx 1/4 tank of fuel at the time. Trailer is 1,600 LBS. Pursuit is off a little on their 10,600 dry weight number.

I spoke to another guy with the same trailer, and he had added spacers under his bunk brackets to get the boat up some so he could trailer with the props on.

He also added flapper valves inside his exhausts to keep the water out when backing down the ramp. He told me the rear of the boat will dip low enough to allow water to force its way up into the manifolds, which the engines will gladly suck in.

Thanks,I have a trailer for the boat - Ive only ever dropped the boat onto it with a tami lift and only towed it a few miles.If you have some pics of the bunk layout on yours I'd like to compare the two

Topic author
bnc

3000 Express Projects

Postby bnc » Sat May 30, 2020 2:34 pm

bnc wrote:

Thanks,I have a trailer for the boat - Ive only ever dropped the boat onto it with a tami lift and only towed it a few miles.If you have some pics of the bunk layout on yours I'd like to compare the two

A few pics of my trailer setup:

IMG_5733.jpeg

IMG_5734.jpeg

IMG_5735.jpeg

IMG_5736.jpeg

Topic author
bnc

3000 Express Projects

Postby bnc » Sat May 30, 2020 2:40 pm

Boat is in the water:

Unfortunately, I have an issue with the starboard engine. Getting the guardian alarm over 1100 rpm. Goes away when brought back down to idle. Need to find someone to code scan it. We had the same issue when we surveyed / sea trialed. Seller had a mechanic fix it, turned out to be the raw water pressure sensor (on the tranny cooler at rear of engines). The plug on both engines for that sensor were loose, so I replaced them. I assume the sensor issue has been corrected and I'm onto something new now.

My gas tank vent is also plugged on the port side. Couldn't get it to take gas very fast. Owning a boat is so much fun.

Can any one recommend a merc mechanic in NE Ohio?

IMG_5730.jpeg

IMG_5727.jpeg

Dan1

3000 Express Projects

Postby Dan1 » Sun May 31, 2020 7:33 am

bnc wrote:A few pics of my trailer setup:

Thanks, very similar setup to mine -I remove the props and rudders to move it around (once every four years when I haul it and take the boat home)

Your boat looks great! Looking at your through hull on the Starb side (the large one) its just above the waterline, mine was lower, and permanently submerged, that is why I ended up doing the mods I did.

The three through hulls on the Port side where the same, all just below the waterline.

If you ever have to change out the two on the Starb side for the aft bilge pump and fishbox its doable but tricky,I replaced mine with these from gemlux

https://www.gemlux.com/78003

Return to “The Project Center”