Welcome to Pursuit Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Pursuit Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Pursuit Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Pursuit or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on PursuitBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Another 3000 Express Engine Vent Repair

If you have a project idea or a completed one you would like to show off (major or minor)? Share it with the rest of us!

Dan1
Vessel Info: 3000 Express Cummins 4BTA's

Postby Dan1 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:49 am

First pic pic taken from the other thread.

In the center of the grill on the inside I layered up glass at either end to thicken up the area where the bolts where to be fitted and drilled a small hole from the outside. (Red X’s in pic of grill’s removed)
Then countersunk the hole’s on the outside so the head of the bolt was recessed into the grill and a large washer and nylock nut was fitted to the inside and secured,then filled the countersunk hole over the top of the bolt head with fiberglass filler colored to suit and sanded level.[align=][/align]
Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 4.03.09 AM.png
I then cut a strip of trex composite decking to fit into the recess of the grill on the inside,it hangs past the grill about three inches either side (black rectangle drawn into pic) drilled to suit the bolts,the ends of the strip where recessed where they come into contact with the side of the boat to hide them.
Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 5.16.39 AM.png

Fitted the grill,put on the trex strip,fitted washers and nylock nuts. As the nuts where tightened the strip compressed up against the hull and secured the vent.

Found this pic on my laptop taken from the inside,the Red arrow is one of the securing bolts,the red X is the Trex strip cut to suit the inside of the grill.The white panel cut to suit the profile of the grill/vent was added years after the vent repair for another reason.

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 4.18.28 AM.png

The composite Tex strip can not be seen unless you manage to somehow get your head in there.
Starboard could be used for the strip.
I didn't want to use 5200 as I was worried if I ever had to remove the grill again it would destroy it or damage the glass on the hull.

As BNC suggest doing the through hulls below the vents now is a good idea,but you will struggle with access to the PVC fittings on the inside if they break, and if water has been leaking into the core sides from the vents above you will be able to remove it with the thru hull removed.

Hope this helps
Only registered members can view attachments. Registration is fast and FREE!
These users thanked the author Dan1 for the post:
Woodworker2001 (Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:07 am)

Topic author
Woodworker2001

Postby Woodworker2001 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:09 am

Dan thanks very much for the info. I am planning to do the Thru hulls as well. The big one is the one that scares me the most. I am a pretty small guy and think I can wedge myself in there but am not sure how that pvc connects or why it is even hard plumbed as pvc. Seems to me you could replace the pvc and make the job much easier.

Dan1

Postby Dan1 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:20 am

Glad to help (if it helps) I glassed that through hull up and moved it up above the waterline and tore out all the PVC on the inside, it should not have been used below the waterline.....

Have a close look at the anchor locker drain,Pursuit used a plastic push in fitting that cant be sealed from the inside, it leaks into the core of the boat... replace it with a through hull
These users thanked the author Dan1 for the post:
Woodworker2001 (Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:31 pm)

Topic author
Woodworker2001

Postby Woodworker2001 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:34 pm

Dan1 wrote:Source of the post Glad to help (if it helps) I glassed that through hull up and moved it up above the waterline and tore out all the PVC on the inside, it should not have been used below the waterline.....

Have a close look at the anchor locker drain,Pursuit used a plastic push in fitting that cant be sealed from the inside, it leaks into the core of the boat... replace it with a through hull

I may end up replacing the pvc. I am not ready for patching the hole in the side of the boat just yet. I am not overly comfortable or versed at fiberglass work. Although it doesn’t look too terrible. I will likely replace with stainless thru hull and fix coring similar to engine vent and then use some hose on the inside of the boat. We will see. And yes the backing clip makes sense. I like the concept. Think maybe you could just bed the bolt in some epoxy on the back side without drilling a hole in the front. May try it

Dan1

Postby Dan1 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:57 am

Some things to consider…

If you put a stainless thru hull in you will have to add it to the bonding system as it is below the waterline,and if you use a nipple and hose to connect to it you would have to add a valve to the thru hull as technically you need isolation between the thru hull and the hose, and that valve can not be reached if you did need to close it,same applies to both sides of the boat.

I looked at doing something similar to mine, ultimately I worked out it was cheaper,easier and a far better result to take out all the PVC pipe and hoses on the bulkhead and hatch and start afresh and gain the space to do the work,and also gain the space to be able to get down in there for future maintenance.

I also considered using a marelon thru hull and valve, apart from the added costs, to break into the PVC above to add a nipple to take the hose essentially required pulling most of the PVC out to do it.So all the PVC came out and was replaced with a simple 1.5 hose from the live tank to the thru hull on the Port side,and a 3/4 hose on the Starb side for the sink drain.

Another way to approach it without tearing all the PVC out and have full access to the work area consider fitting access doors to the helm area and do the work from above,when its done you will have access to the shutoff valve ,access for maintenance to the engines/hot water system and access to a huge amount of storage space on top of the two tanks either side,this is what it looks like from the Starb access door.
Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 6.52.49 AM.png

With the vent - I doubt epoxying the bolt on will work,I think however there is enough material in the vent to do what I did without any glasswork using a small oval head bolt countersunk to suit.

Dan1

Postby Dan1 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:17 am

Dan,
Per our PM, another view of the intake vent with the composite strip (X) and the other securing bolt ( ->)
IMG_9588.JPG

Return to “The Project Center”