Welcome to Pursuit Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Pursuit Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Pursuit Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Pursuit or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on PursuitBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Beware - Perko Pro-Flush

If you have a project idea or a completed one you would like to show off (major or minor)? Share it with the rest of us!

Topic author
fabalc

Beware - Perko Pro-Flush

Postby fabalc » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:34 pm

A cause for sinking!

I installed a Perkoo Pro Flush on my vessel feeding my Kohler diesel generator (5/8 ID hose) to flush it with fresh water after use. It seemed such a good idea that I also installed them on my Cummins 6BT diesel engines. Today I discovered a water leak in my bilge and after further investigation, I noticed the water was coming from the Perko Pro Flush. At first the leak seemed to be coming from the fresh water hose fitting attached to the housing of the Pro Flush. When I tried tightening the fitting with my hand (not a whole lot of pressure) the plastic outlet completely broke off causing a continuous leak. The entire system is located below the water line, hence causing water to enter the vessel and possibly sinking the vessel See pictures. I also plan to remove them from the Cummins 6BT engines.

Does anyone recommend a system for fresh water flushing on a diesel? I was planning to place a bronze "T" and ball valve for flushing where the Pro Flush was located.

Topic author
fabalc

Beware - Perko Pro-Flush

Postby fabalc » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:25 pm

I am unable to post pictures because I'm using a Mac computer. Perko website for product info...

http://www.perko.com/catalog/category/underwater_hardware/product/62/

YOLO

Beware - Perko Pro-Flush

Postby YOLO » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:43 am

Posting picture (or not) has nothing to do with being on a Mac (or not). A mac is all I use and can post pics just fine :)

I know some people have replaced their sea strainer caps with a flushing cap which have a brass hose connect and ball valve. Connect the hose, close the main sea cock, open the flush sea cock, turn on the water, start the engines. This seems like a much better option than a plastic in line valve.

A company that made them was called Thoroflush but I think they went under. Some have drilled and tapped there existing caps and made there own.

MarkT
Home Port: Mattituck, Long Island
Vessel Info: 1999 Pursuit 3000 Express, twin Cummins 4-BTAs

Beware - Perko Pro-Flush

Postby MarkT » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:15 am

I have heard all kinds of dangers from flushing kits and would never use one that has plastic fittings. I do have a Thoroflush kit for my engines (also Cummins) and my a/c unit. However, I do not leave them on unless I want to run a few doses of salt away through the engines. So when I want to flush at the end of the year I put them on (great for winterizing also) and use them and then take them off. I heard from a friend that kept them on that they did corrode. He thought some sinkings may have resulted and that is why they went out of business. Should be easy to make a duplicate. Get a spare sea strainer cap from the company that made yours and have it drilled and put in a brass nipple, a ball valve and the hose adapter. Keep it in a cabinet until you want to use it!
Good luck.

Topic author
fabalc

Beware - Perko Pro-Flush

Postby fabalc » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:04 pm

I replaced the inferior plastic Perko Proflush with a flush from Marine Technology Group.
http://www.marinetechgroup.com/
Check them out. They provide a hose and strainer kit that can be used as an emergency bilge bump. Pretty cool...

Return to “The Project Center”