Welcome to Pursuit Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Pursuit Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Pursuit Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Pursuit or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on PursuitBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New forum software?

Site News and Announcements by the PBO administrators.

Topic author
YOLO

New forum software?

Postby YOLO » Mon May 20, 2013 9:19 am

I am considering migrating from the current software, which is no longer supported by the developer, to a modern, fully supported, and wildly used forum system.</p>

It's no secret that this software has issues, the biggest one be photo posting problems.</p>

I have been researching options and there are not many that will import the current data into a new database system. One issue could also be the migration of member passwords. This means you would have to go through a process of resetting your password. I've done this before and some users had a problem getting set up again.</p>

As I said, this is a process I have been through before. It's very possible that the site could be down for up to a week (not likely, but possibly). It will take hours of work and the cost of the new software.</p>

We are starting to get busier around here and I want to make sure we are able to grow. If you have any comments or concerns please let me know.</p>

I don't have a time frame for the upgrade, but it's something I think needs to be done.</p>

anchor out

New forum software?

Postby anchor out » Tue May 21, 2013 1:10 pm

Hi Yolo,
I don't really know anything about this, BUT....I can tell you that I am a member of the Abaco Forum and their forum is the most consistent and easy to use I have seen. It's easy to use and is up 99.999% of the time. Maybe it's worth a look? I have no connection whatsoever other than being a member. Good luck with whatever you decide. ken

edit: I should have added they have about 3,000 members (I think)

Topic author
YOLO

New forum software?

Postby YOLO » Wed May 22, 2013 7:00 am

This one? http://abacoforum.com/forums/index.php

They are using and old version of vBulletin. I use a much newer version of that on another site and like it a lot AND they do offer an importer. Their newest latest and greatest version sucks pretty bad and I'm concerned about about support for the older versions in the future. It is in the running though.

Thanks for the heads up!

Anyone else have any input?

anchor out

New forum software?

Postby anchor out » Wed May 22, 2013 4:01 pm

YOLO - 5/22/2013 7:00 AM

This one? http://abacoforum.com/forums/index.php

They are using and old version of vBulletin. I use a much newer version of that on another site and like it a lot AND they do offer an importer. Their newest latest and greatest version sucks pretty bad and I'm concerned about about support for the older versions in the future. It is in the running though.

Thanks for the heads up!

Anyone else have any input?

Yep, that's the site. Glad to know you are aware of the software they use. It seems to work well for them. They do have a couple of moderators/administrators though so maybe that is a big part of the reason things seem to work so well. I'm sure it must take some real effort to keep any of this stuff going all the time. Good luck.

Topic author
YOLO

New forum software?

Postby YOLO » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:35 am

In about 2 weeks I'll begin the process of migrating to a new forum software package. I think the current software is killing us!

Stay tuned!

Karl57

New forum software?

Postby Karl57 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:29 pm

are you still migrating to a new forum software package?

Topic author
YOLO

New forum software?

Postby YOLO » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:05 am

Yes. I was hoping to do this over the holiday but have been busier at work than expected. Hopefully within the next few weeks though.

Karl57

New forum software?

Postby Karl57 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:44 pm

I hear ya! Hope you had a good holiday...Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something. I appreciate you administering the site. Thank you.
2001 Pursuit 3070 CC w/Twin Yamaha 250hp OX66 Saltwater Series

Idi_Amin

New forum software?

Postby Idi_Amin » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:51 pm

I'm not a software expect by any means but I remember the prior Pursuit owners forum. That site seemed to be much more searchable and easier on the eyes with the ads than the current site. I think that it was Pursuitowners.com.

I definitely agree that it would be a good idea to move on. A move towards the older Pursuitowners.com format would be a good one and I think that it would generate much more traffic for you as well...I have thought this for years but no one asked so I never brought it up...

Return to “Site News and Announcements”