Welcome to Pursuit Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Pursuit Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Pursuit Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Pursuit or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on PursuitBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Simrad vs. Garmin or Other

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author
mikekellypursuit
Vessel Info: 2015 265 DC

Postby mikekellypursuit » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:22 pm

I'm considering a Pursuit purchase & it is equipped with Simrad radar & GPS, presumable Sonar/Fish Finder. Unfortunately at this point I don't know the model number but if anyone has general comments with the Simrad it would be appreciated. I'm hoping like most technology the top dudes are pretty close & unless one has a very specific taste (I'm a Garmin guy but only because that's what I've been exposed to), then it really doesn't matter much, but anyone's thoughts appreciated.

Mike

timeflies
Home Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Info: 1999 Pursuit 2270 Yamaha 200 ox 66 lefty.

Postby timeflies » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:37 pm

I like the Garman 7612 xsv. I ended up using a fairing block /through hull transducer in addition to an X ternal transducer due to dead rise Preventing me from getting complete side scan ( very irritating) . I spent serious money and could not get it “dialed in” . Once I did I could run 20 kn and spot a frog hair. As for side scan my only advice would be to make damn sure that the transducer(s) in the right spot. I have been using my iPad more and more each time. I don’t think I helped much

MarkT
Home Port: Mattituck, Long Island
Vessel Info: 1999 Pursuit 3000 Express, twin Cummins 4-BTAs

Postby MarkT » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:04 am

I had been a boat captain for many years before retiring, and have used many different brands. Just a few years ago I installed new equipment in my boat (you can see it in the forum) and after checking what was out there I went with Ray Marine. Just what I liked. Garmin has come a long way from their first attempts. Simrad has some great commercial stuff, but I did not like what they had for smaller pleasure boats.

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”