Welcome to Pursuit Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Pursuit Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Pursuit Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Pursuit or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on PursuitBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

VHF Antenna Cable Issues

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author
FishMagnet
Vessel Info: 2001 Pursuit 3070 0ffshore w/twin Yamaha 250

VHF Antenna Cable Issues

Postby FishMagnet » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:31 pm

Hey all,
I have an VHF antenna attached with a base mount to my hardtop. Problem is that the exposted cable from the base to the hardtop is so bad that it is only attached by a couple threads. So... can I replace cable? If so, how do you remove the antenna from the base? Keeping in mind that I'm hoping to reuse antenna. Doing so, would allow access to the bottom of the antenna. The antenna looks to be in really good shape.
Any Advice?
Thanks
3070 offshore

Coastal Pursuit
Vessel Info: 2002 3070 Offshore CC
Twin 250 Yamaha OX66's

VHF Antenna Cable Issues

Postby Coastal Pursuit » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:03 pm

You would have to replace the whole antenna. You could splice the cable there but it would be in the elements, but I would not do that personally.

Mattd2384
Vessel Info: 1986 2500 Center Console. Complete restoration . Powered by a Mariner/Mercury 225EFI.

VHF Antenna Cable Issues

Postby Mattd2384 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:01 pm

I agree with coastal. More splices and soldering you do the worse off your connection will be. Just invest in a new one and I suggest the galaxy xt. I'm getting ready to put two on the boat I'm restoring.. Good luck.

MarkT
Home Port: Mattituck, Long Island
Vessel Info: 1999 Pursuit 3000 Express, twin Cummins 4-BTAs

VHF Antenna Cable Issues

Postby MarkT » Mon May 30, 2016 3:23 pm

Do you have enough slack in the cable to simply shorten it and put a new coupler on it?

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”