Welcome to Pursuit Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Pursuit Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Pursuit Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Pursuit or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on PursuitBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

OS 385 water in forward bilge by bow thruster

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author
ChrisF
Home Port: Palm Harbor, FL
Vessel Info: 2015 Pursuit OS 385

Postby ChrisF » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:38 am

I have a 2015 Pursuit OS 385. There's a bunch of water in the forward bilge compartment where the bow thruster motor is located. It appears to be fresh water, not salt water (I tasted it).

This particular location is boxed in, so the water doesn't drain into the main bilge area, where it would presumably be pumped out by the forward bilge pump. The water level is a few inches below the bow thruster motor itself, but the thruster tube and the saddle part of the thruster are sitting below the water line. I originally thought this was "normal", but after multiple shear pin failures and a bow thruster solenoid failure over the past year and a half, it's now clear to me that something is wrong. I suspect what's happening is the water has made its way into the lower portion of bow thruster itself, perhaps occasionally splashing onto the solenoid, maybe even seeping in to the motor a little bit, which, over time, is causing the motor to seize up, which breaks the shear pin and is probably responsible for corroding the solenoid to the point where it eventually failed as well.

So..... the question is where is this fresh water coming from and how do I get rid of it? My initial thought is that rain or water from washing the boat is draining in from the anchor locker. The anchor locker is supposed to have an overboard drain, so that still doesn't make a lot of sense. I plan to do some more trouble shooting this weekend, but figured I'd post hear to see if anyone else has either experienced this same problem or has ideas about how to track down the leak.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

gbrogan
Vessel Info: 2015 325 DC

Postby gbrogan » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:36 pm

Have 2015 325 dc
same issue
thought was fresh water from condensation : cool hull and humid air
bought a $15 and tested tap water, bow ilge water and seawater for specific gravity and it was seawater
explained why my solenoid went
had to recaulk where motor enters hull
let me know what you find

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”