Welcome to Pursuit Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Pursuit Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Pursuit Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Pursuit or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on PursuitBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Dead thruster battery on Pursuit 325DC

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author
Rog
Vessel Info: 2018 Pursuit 325dc

Postby Rog » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:52 pm

My bow thruster battery went dead and I hardly use it. I never use shore power, and I always turn off both battery switches every time I'm done using the boat and the other 3 batteries always seem to have the proper charge.

My question is: Will the bow thruster battery recharge while running the boat as the other 3 batteries seem to do , or do I have to use shore power to recharge the thruster battery? Any advice is welcomed.

Rog

gbrogan
Vessel Info: 2015 325 DC

Postby gbrogan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:29 pm

I just bought a used 325 DC and in reading the manual, while it isn't really clear, it seems the bow thruster is not charged as are the 2 engine and house batteries. I'm on a mooring so also worried about how long it will hold a charge. Hope this helps. I posted a few issues I've noticed with my boat already if you have a chance to look any feedback appreciated.
gbrogan

Topic author
Rog

Postby Rog » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:33 am

Thanks for your response. I have contacted my dealer and I want a definitive answer on this thruster battery! When he replies I will get back to you, My boat is brand new and I feel there should not be an issue with a battery going dead, if the other 3 are being charged while the engines are running. I do have shore power but I never use it as I do not have anything running on the boat when its on the lift and the other 3 batteries are always very well charged when I go to re-start the boat. I have about 100 hours on this boat but probably less than 60 seconds of use on the bow thruster so I dont now why it should have gone dead?

Again..thanks for your info

Ron

Topic author
Rog

Postby Rog » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:18 pm

My Pursuit dealer got back to me. He said the only way to recharge the dedicated thruster battery is by connecting to shore power.

I guess I will have to use our shore power once in awhile to keep this battery charged. If anyone has any alternate suggestions I would like to hear about them.

Thanks to all.

Rog

gbrogan
Vessel Info: 2015 325 DC

Postby gbrogan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:56 pm

Rog
I checked again with mechanic and correct that thruster battery only charged by shore power as you indicated
Gerry

Topic author
Rog

Postby Rog » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:57 pm

Thanks for the getting back to me and confirming the shore power connection to recharge the thruster battery. I'll keep it plugged in more often...Seems like a small flaw from Pursuits design team, but still very happy with everything else on this 325DC

Rog

LakerPat

Postby LakerPat » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:06 pm

My DC325 is the same as everyone else. The bow thruster battery only charges when attached to shore power. Has anyone solved this problem? Could we use an ACR or something to provide charge to the thruster battery when the engines are charging the house battery? Or is there an easy way to use one of the extra charging leads off the engines to charge the thruster battery? Love your feedback .... I certainly can use shore power more often but would love a better answer.

Pat

Ando
Vessel Info: 2020 S320

Postby Ando » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:06 am

I have a new S328 and same o same o from my dealer.
Thruster battery is only charged via shore power.
Kinda lame if you ask me in this day and age to not include a better option.

Also with respect to the 3 main batteries - is anyone having difficulty accessing the batteries to check water levels...? Mine are tucked up under the helm floor and there is literally no room between the top of the batteries and the underside of the deck for even the most agile person to be able to remove battery caps and determine if water is needed or not.

Anyone else checking their batteries as routine maintenance or do people just replace them when they die a shorten life due to neglect or physically being unable to be maintained properly.

mferraresso
Vessel Info: 2020 328 Sport

Postby mferraresso » Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:16 am

Anyone tried a solar charger for the bow thruster battery? I'm on a mooring so shore power is not an option.

Return to “Electrical”