Welcome to Pursuit Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Pursuit Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Pursuit Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Pursuit or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on PursuitBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

need advice on buying a 1989 Pursuit 285 offshore

ImageHave a question or issue that is model specific? The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Pursuit Boats.

Topic author
satins5

Postby satins5 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:12 pm

Hi everyone, I am a new member to this site and could use some advice.
I have seen the following boat as advertised as a:
1989 Pursuit 285 Offshore
Boat in good condition
Newer radar, gps, fish finder, power inverter, hard top, full canvas enclosure.
1990 Twin Yamaha 250's 2 stroke. Motors have been rebuilt, one has a new power head.
Work needed to launch: Power trim and tilt on one engine needs replacement.
Wash, wax, bottom paint (no wood)
$16,000
I viewed the boat on land with it's shrink wrap.
Could not inspect engines due to shrink wrap but did see all the newer electronics.
Could not inspect boat as to the shrink wrap.
I told the son whose father owns the boat I would have to come back and remove the
shrink wrap so I could fully inspect boat and engines.
The son said he was not sure how long the boat was on the hard buy he said he would talk to his father.
He asked me what I thought it was worth to me and I told him with all the unknowns about $7500
Bottom line:
I got an email from the son saying I could have the boat as is for $8500.
I am 70 years old and have boated for 50 years and have owned over 10 different boats.
I know the quality of the Pursuits but I obviously worry about the following.
Stability of the transom. I don't know if wood was used in manufacturing and transom rot is prevalent in
these models. Also don't know how the stringers were manufactured.
I assume I would have to dispose of all the gas sitting in the tanks or have a bunch of filters on hand.
I don't see many Pursuits of this vintage for sale so I don't know what it is worth.
I could just be buying the hull at this price if the engines do have problems but I think
even with repowering this might be a great deal.
I would appreciate any advice you could offer me considering buying this boat.
thanks for your help, satins5

MarkT
Home Port: Mattituck, Long Island
Vessel Info: 1999 Pursuit 3000 Express, twin Cummins 4-BTAs

Postby MarkT » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:13 pm

Hello Cap, Ill toss in some thoughts. There is no doubt in my mind that there is wood in the transom. That does not mean it is bad if it was sealed correctly when the engines were mounted but I would at least borrow a moisture meter and check it out. With it being an 89, I would question the condition of the fuel and hydraulic steering hoses also. The fuel tanks themselves, being aluminum could have issues also. Mid to late 80s Tiara 33 has issues with fuel tanks leaking from the underside from sitting in salt water in the bilge. While you have the moisture meter I would check out the hull and deck just to be sure about coring issues.

Topic author
satins5

Postby satins5 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:03 am

I appreciate your reply Mark T. I forgot to list if there were any gas tank issues which would need replacement. I know the rubber cushions the tanks sit on can deteriorate and cause tank corrosion, thanks for the reminder. Have a great boating season, satins5

MarkT
Home Port: Mattituck, Long Island
Vessel Info: 1999 Pursuit 3000 Express, twin Cummins 4-BTAs

Postby MarkT » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:22 pm

Let us know how it works out for you Cap.

Return to “General Pursuit Boats Forum”