Welcome to Pursuit Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Pursuit Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Pursuit Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Pursuit or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on PursuitBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Charging issues

Anything related to the operation of your boat that doesn't fit another forum category. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
Fishing - Fanatic
Vessel Info: 2001 Pursuit 3000 Express w/ twin 350 Horizons

Charging issues

Postby Fishing - Fanatic » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:51 am

2001 Pursuit 3000 Express:

- All new batteries (house & engine)
- Overhauled and upgraded TABS system
- Onboard charger and inverter/charger (both charge all batteries when shorepower plugged in
- 15 volts charge out of the alternators
- Everything looks good with visual inspection and all connections test good with multimeter

None of the batteries are receiving a charge from the alternators when engines are running and unplugged from shore power. I can’t find where the breakdown is. Where in the electrical system is there a junction box, fuse block, or location that the alternator charging wire terminates at and is possibly causing my issue? Or what else could it be?

Any input or suggestions would be very appreciated.

Woodworker2001

Charging issues

Postby Woodworker2001 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:41 pm

Well I don’t know if you have check but the ring terminal on the positive alternator wire on my port motor had broken and was no longer connected to the back. Also the wire was very corroded from salt. I would guess unlikely that both are but may be worth looking at
These users thanked the author Woodworker2001 for the post:
Fishing - Fanatic (Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:48 pm)

Topic author
Fishing - Fanatic

Charging issues

Postby Fishing - Fanatic » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:11 pm

I found the alternator wire on my starboard motor fried and when I cleaned it up, started getting a charge finally. So that was definitely the largest factor related to my issues. What’s interesting is that this wire to just one of the alternators impacted the charge on all the batteries. Furthermore after I cleaned the wire and reattached, yes it was great to see it charging, but now it’s overcharging @ 15.5 to 16.5 volts which I suspect was the initial problem that caused all this....so now I just decided to change both alternators. Additional input, experiences, and feedback is always appreciated.

Topic author
Fishing - Fanatic

Charging issues

Postby Fishing - Fanatic » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:52 pm

My one good alternator was trying to charge everything (through the TABS System) while the other alternator was sporadic at best and overcharging at times (voltage regulator). So my one good alternator could only give me about 13.2 volts as it as trying to compensate. And when/if I got the voltage surge, my electronics would sense it and turn off. I've also had the TABS System overhauled and upgraded (it had a bad control board), so now its working properly at least and distributing, equalizing, and balancing the charge. So finally (at the dock) everything is working properly related to shorepower, inverter/charger, on board charger, etc. I'm now down to engine/alternator charge when unplugged from shorepower. New alternators are going in this week....thanks a million for all your input....
These users thanked the author Fishing - Fanatic for the post:
Woodworker2001 (Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:03 pm)

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”