Welcome to Pursuit Boats Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Pursuit Boats to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Pursuit Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Pursuit or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on PursuitBoatOwners.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Radar pedestal height, 2870CC fabric top

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author
REDmida
Vessel Info: 2002 2870CC

Postby REDmida » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:54 pm

I'm installing a 4G radar and I know I need to elevate it. The mount plate is directly over the center console rather than at the front of the T-Top. Having done the math, I know that a 6" lift with a 4 deg down angle will come about 6" short of getting the entire 25 deg beam width clear of the front of the top. An 8" lift with the same angle would clear it completely, but I'm concerned about overpass clearance while towing on the interstate (I already know I'm going to have to remove the radome prior to trailering on unfamiliar roads. Without the radar and with a 7.5" anchor light at the highest point, the boat was right at 13' 6" on the trailer).

My question is: is there anyone out there with a similar fabric t-top setup (4G radar on a 6" high, 4 deg tilt pedestal in the middle of the top) that can tell me if the front of the t-top interferes with radar performance? I'd appreciate any advice; thanks.

Matt

MarkT
Home Port: Mattituck, Long Island
Vessel Info: 1999 Pursuit 3000 Express, twin Cummins 4-BTAs

Postby MarkT » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:50 am

It has been my experience that the top does not interfere with the radar performance. How hard would it be to install your unit with no pedestal, and try it like that at first? You could raise it after the fact if it does not work as well as expected. I had installed a Quantum radar last spring, and it is a great picture. If I needed to raise it I had left some wire free to do the job until I checked the performance. If it works well mounted low maybe you would not need to remove it.
These users thanked the author MarkT for the post:
REDmida (Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:10 pm)

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”